Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A week in perth

Im sitting on the beach watching my last sunset in Perth and there is this cool haze in the air that makes the sun reflect off the water in this really amazing way.  I can count 25 wind surfers and its cool enough to be able to relax on the sand without getting burnt.  

What a week it's been, forget the jumping, that wasn't so good but this week is the exact thing that I needed.  Im just can't stand being indoors all the time, I like jumping indoors, competing that is, but it gets real boring real quick, training inside all the time.  For the past 4 or 5 years I've really thought about getting out of the Midwest, at least while im competing and still jumping.  Getting to where you can train outside and not freeze to death in the winter months.  I could definitely live in Australia if it wasn't so far from everyone I know and love.  Anyway let me tell you about my week and why it's been so awesome that I would consider living here.

First of all the temperature had been in the 90's all week which has allowed me to get a real nice tan.  Second training has been great, the track and facilities here are great and the wind has been a nice tail everyday I've been here.  Except for the day of the meet, that was a little swirling but oh well, I guess it can't be completely perfect.  The hotel I've stayed at is right on the beach and I've swam in the Indian ocean almost every day.  Sunday I went with Russ Winger, and Tara Patterson to this little island right off the coast called Rottnest island.  We swam, snorkeled and drank Coronas all day in probably the most beautiful place I've ever been.  I was finally able to try out my waterproof camera and got some really cool video underwater.  I've been able to train every day at the track and today I jumped, I was really hoping to be able to train with Steve Hooker, one of the best vaulters in the world, and his coach Alex Parnov but communication has been tough and so I haven't really been able to.  I jumped today really working on posture and driving off the ground into the pole, posture pressure knee, is what my mantra was today.  Posture into the takeoff, pressure the pole and see the knee as I swing up.  It seemed to work well, Saturday I had some trouble since it was my first outdoor meet in dealing with the conditions and was kind of leaning back a bit at takeoff.  I jumped 535m/ 17'6" and had a really good jump at 555m/ 18'2" but couldn't keep it up.  

Today in traveling to Sydney, it's a bit sad to leave this beautiful place and the great weather, I guess the weather hasn't been quite as nice in Sydney.  I will be staying in the Olympic village in Sydney and I compete Saturday.  Im looking forward to trying out my new cues and really hitting the box hard and blowing some bars up.  

As beautiful as this place is and as much as im dreading coming back to winter in Indiana there's a huge part of me missing that I have to get back to.  Happy Valentine's day Amanda, love you and miss you.  

Always Pursuing,
Mark


No comments:

Post a Comment